Let's Talk Gas Tax (Poll)
First, I would like to poll the readers to get an idea of where people stand on this issue. The current federal gasoline tax is $0.184/gal. How high do you think gasoline taxes should be?
- It would obviously lead to conservation, which would help preserve our remaining fossil fuel endowment.
- It would encourage mass transit.
- It would make alternative energy sources more competitive with fossil fuels, without favoring a particular option.
- It would encourage more efficient city planning, and reign in some of the suburban sprawl.
- It would make the price of fossil fuels more reflective of the negative externalities that are not currently priced in (global warming, military expenditures, etc.).
- It would penalize alternative energy sources with low EROEI and reward those processes with higher efficiency.
So, what do TOD readers think? I am looking for critiques, disagreements, and just general discussion on the advantages and disadvantages of a much higher gasoline tax. I would like to come up with something that is palatable to the majority of people, and I want to push this idea to our political leaders. The knee jerk reaction will almost always be "no new taxes", and this is why I want to work through the issues with TOD readers before I start to push too hard.